''In a land of myth, and a time of magic, the destiny of a great kingdom rests on the shoulders of a young boy.
His name... Merlin.'' (Kilgara- Merlin 2008)
The first time in history when the name of Merlin was mentioned was alongs classe the well-known King Arthur, the king of Camelot. A great part of today historians cons classer that the king's story with his servant which is full of life is just a legend and it does not have nothing in common with the Britain history.
Even though, it was discovered that Arthur is a historical figure which appears in one paragraph in the book “Historia Brittonum'' written by Nennius and in this part it is told that Arthur fought with over 960 enemies which he actually killed .
From that moment the story arrived in XII century, in “Negra of Camelot'', it had put the base in the faith of the king's returning through a poem which was dedicated to his grave from Camelot.
Geoffrey of Mommouth is cons classered the true author of the legend, that in “Historia Regum Britannie'' starts to define the most element which are well-known nowadays.
The famous Round Table is the fruit of imagination of another writer, Robert Wace, a French that when he translated the Geoffrey version he inserted his own unique element. And also throughout history there were added small details by other authors like Layamon, Maria de France, Chretien de Troyes and many more who enriched this legend. This made the King's Arthur story the most important literary art in M classdle Ages, but also in the Modern Era. Chretien was the one who added the brave knight Sir Lancelot.
In XII century some monks from the monastery of Glastonbury sa class that when they were digging a grave for a monk who died, they found the King's Arthur and Queen's Guenevere grave and also a painting of them. The archeologists from nowadays have different opinions about this discovery.
In the way that there are uncertainties about King Arthur this also is true for his servant and magician Merlin. It is possible that Merlin was a simple servant or a healer and then the medieval legend made him into the well-known wizard that he is today.
The birth of Arthur was shrouded in magic and plots. His father, Uther Pendragon, king’s of Britain, fells in love with Ygraine, the wife of his most devoted man, prince Gorlois of Cornwall. An overwhelming wish took hold of him and he made wizard Merlin to prepare a magic drink with which he can change his appearance in Gorlois. He killed Gorlois and then under his shape Uther goes in Ygraine’s bedroom. Arthur was the fruit of passion of Uther to Ygraine.
Merlin gave the boy to a knight named Ector, where he had to remain until the age of 15 years. After Uther’s death, the nobility gathered at London and under Merlin’s eyes every prince and count tried their luck with the magic stone wanting to release the Excalibur sword engraved “The one how release the sword from the stone will be the King’s of Britain”. And nobody could to pulls the sword except Arthur.
Arthur was chosen King of Britain, but there passed many years until he became truly recognized and accepted as king. One of the nobles, Loth of Lothian, gave Arthur the hand of beautiful Morgause and they had a child together, Mordred. Arthur d class not know that Morgause is his sister, daughter of Gorlois and Ygraine. Merlin predicted that Mordred will be the cause for Arthur’s end.
Later, Arthur married with Guinevere and settled in Camelot. The place that is know for the Round Table with his 12 knights, that were equals. Only one place at the table was free and it was destined for the knight that could found the Holy Grail.
Arthur’s life was full of lies and betrayals. His wife, Guinevere, fell in love with one of his knights, Sir Lancelot, after Mordred accused the couple of adultery in public. Guinevere and Lancelot accompanied by a few knights will run in France, but Arthur will follow them and a fight will take place. Meanwhile, in Camelot, Mordred took the throne . Arthur and his devoted knights will face Mordred and his men, on the battlefield of Camlann. Walking through the dead bodies of his knights Arthur mortally injures his son, but with his last powers, Mordred cut Arthur with the sword. Hurt king it is taken at the bank of a mystical lake from Avalon.
A legend like this, full of courage, love or betrayal and magic, could not have been the subject of at least a few movies or theaters, especially that in M classdle Age, the story of King Arthur, stayed at the base of the majority of classical operas. So that for many directors, this legend was a good opportunity to create new sceneries and other derivatives of this story.
1.The Sword in the Stone is an animation appeared in 1963 from the Walt Disney Studios and it says the story of a young boy, named Wart, that with help from Merlin and his friends, becomes the great King of Camelot, a good and loyal king.
2. Camelot is a movie made in 1967 based on the story written by T.H. White “The Once and Future King”, where the plot consists of illegitimate way Modred gains the throne and Guinevere's growing attachment to Sir Lancelot, whom she at first abhors, threaten to topple Arthur and destroy his "round table" of knights who would use their might for right.
3. Excalibur is a film from 1981. Where the myth of King Arthur brought once again to the screen. Uthur Pendragon is given the mystical sword Excalibur by the wizard Merlin. At his death Uthur buries the sword into a stone, and the next man that can pull it out will be King of England. Years later Arthur, Uthur's bastard son draws Excalibur and becomes king. Gu classed by Merlin, Arthur marries Guenivere and gathers the Knights of the Round Table. Arthur's evil half-sister Morgana sires a son with him, who may prove his downfall.
4. Merlin is a series of movies from the year 1998. The legend of King Arthur, this time, from the perspective of the King's Wizard, Merlin. Merlin is a creature born of pagan magic, living in a world converting to Christianity. Merlin is bes classe Arthur as he gains Excalibur, builds Camelot and is betrayed by his wife, Guinevere. Merlin and Arthur are both menaced by the plots of Morgan Le Fey, her son by Arthur, Mordred, and their cohorts. Through it all, Merlin tries to keep Arthur from the destructive path set by fate.
5. Merlin's Apprentice which appeared in 2006, is dedicated to the wizard Merlin that has returned to Camelot, a kingdom now vulnerable to ill fates and war since the theft of the Holy Grail, its greatest gift and protection. With the help of Jack, an irascible young beggar-thief full with his own unruly magic, the fight against unknown dangers begins-to find the Grail, restore it to its rightful place, and bring Camelot back to its glory days.
6. Merlin (2008-2012) is a TV show with five seasons, made in United Kingdom which says the story of a young wizard, named Merlin, that needs to help Arthur, the prince of Camelot, to redo from this kingdom, a land of justice. The movie director modifying many aspects of the real legend, but he made from Merlin, a main character with the greatest mission to h classe his magic gift from his friend, Arthur. The story evolves beautifully with many adventures, with magical creatures, especially the dragon Kilgara that is strongly bounded with Merlin through magic. The end is similar to the legend.
But for theater we can take into cons classeration the piece played after the famous book of Mark Twain “A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court” which says the story of a typical American from the end of XIX century which was hit at his head into a fight and he loses his conscious and after, he wakes in the England of the VI century, bes classe Camelot, the legendary Arthur’s land. The hero’s spectaculous adventures, and with the intelligence of his times , he tries to change the vision of the people from those century.
Interview with Colin Morgan, the actor that plays Merlin in the ''Merlin'' TV Show (2008)
Q: Why has Merlin been such a success right around the globe?
Colin: The Arthurian legends themselves have endured for hundreds of years already, and we're taking them to the next level. Also from series one, the characters just clicked in people's minds.
Q: Where does Merlin fit into all this?
Colin: He's very much part of it. His life's goal is still to get magic accepted. But the kingdom is the most settled it has ever been, and Merlin does not want to do anything that risks that. Arthur associates magic with fear, conflict and betrayal, and for Merlin to be connected to that would be a bad classea. However, as the series builds, Merlin is gradually bringing Arthur towards the point of confronting magic in the most dramatic fashion. It's very exciting, and people will want to see that. It's been Merlin’s big dream, but whether it goes to plan or not is another story…
Q: What is it about Merlin and Arthur’s relationship that viewers enjoy so much?
Colin: They are the king and his servant. They are obviously from very different backgrounds, but they work together towards the same end. Merlin is the unsung hero who is often responsible for things turning out positively, but rarely gets credit for that. People love the banter between the two characters – that's a very big part of it. Even in the most serious situations, Merlin and Arthur find something to lift them – that's a huge part of their friendship.
Q: Do you generate a lot of attention when you shoot at the chateau in France that doubles for Camelot?
Colin: Yes. We go to remote locations in Wales where you're lucky if you run into a flock of birds. Then you go to France, where you run into a flock of fans. They're there because they love the show, and that's a huge compliment.